Happy Earth Day! I’m known to be a bit of a tree hugger, as you can see in this picture from a few years ago. I’ve slacked off a little over the past few years, but I do still enjoy eco-friendly habits. One reason for this is because being eco-friendly saves money!
Eco-friendly habits can reduce your bills…heat, cooling, electric, gas, water, and so on. Many eco-friendly habits encourage do-it-yourself attitudes, which decreases the amount of stuff you purchase. The general mindset of reusing items discourages consumerism, which saves money.
There are a ton of eco-friendly tips that also save money but this is just a chunk of a long list…
- Turn off the lights when you’re not in the room, and turn off outdoor lights when it’s light out.
- Take shorter showers.
- Purchase low-flow shower heads and faucet aerators.
- Use a programmable thermostat.
- Unplug things when they aren’t in use.
- Cut back on disposable items. For example, cloth napkins instead of paper, or bring your own fork to work in your lunch bag instead of using plastic forks.
- Wash clothes in cold water.
- Hang dry clothes. (It’s better for your clothes too!)
- Bring your own mugs to coffee shops and bags to the store. Most places give out discounts.
- Buy things used when possible.
- Sell things you no longer need.
- Use public transportation.
- Reduce paper and never pay a late fee by using online bill pay.
- Make DIY cleaning products out of things you probably already have, such as vinegar and baking soda.
- Repurpose items instead of throwing them away.
- Wear clothes a few times before washing them. (Not all items obviously, but jeans and stuff)
- Skip the AC and open the windows!
- Skip the lights during the day and let in the sunshine!
Like I said, these are just a few ideas…the list is endless. Comment below with your favorite eco-friendly/money-saving habits! Happy Earth Day!